Wellbeing and Cost of Living Support
We know this is a challenging time and many families across London and the UK are facing financial difficulties. On this page, you'll find services and resources which provide practical help and/or emotional support. Some of these are local to the Borough of Bexley and others are either London or UK wide.
Free School Meals and Uniform Grants
Free School Meals
Every child in London is entitled to free school meals this year. But that doesn't mean you shouldn't complete the application!
If you apply and are successful, you will be entitled to meals vouchers during the holidays as long as the government schemes are in place. You will also be entitled to uniform grants, reduced price clubs and trips.
If you have No Recourse To Public Funds, are a serving member of the armed forces, or are a foster, adoptive or SGO parent, your child is entitled to the above benefits. Please email email@example.com if this applies to you.
If you are a parent or carer, and receive any of the benefits below, then your child is eligible for Free School Meals.
- Income Support
- Income Based Jobseekers Allowance
- Support under Part VI of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999
- Child Tax Credit (provided you are not also entitled to Working Tax Credit and have an annual gross household income of no more than £16,190)
- The Guaranteed Element of State Pension Credit
- Income Related Employment and Support Allowance
- Working Tax Credit run on – paid for 4 weeks after you stop qualifying for Working Tax Credit
How to apply
If you would like to apply for Free School Meals you can apply online using the link below (please ensure you choose the correct Haberdashers' school):
In these uncertain times we are aware that changes to employment and benefits can have a huge negative impact. We want to support you through this new simple to use system. You will need to complete once and if in future your circumstances change making your child entitled to support, we will be automatically notified. In addition to the provision of free school meals the government also provide additional funding which may be as high as £6000, in schools today this can make a real difference in the lives of our children, all from completing a form in just a few minutes.
We are now using a new system to manage free school meals. If you are already entitled to Free School Meals or have recently applied for Free School Meals with the London borough of Bexley then we encourage that you reapply, using the new system.
If your application for free school meals is successful, you are also entitled to claim for up to two uniform grants for your child, one in each primary key stage:
- Key Stage 1 (reception to year 2) £30
- Key Stage 2 (year 3 to year 6) £60
Parents can make a claim for a uniform grant by clicking on this link below and completing the form:
For more information on Inclusion and Wellbeing, visit our Inclusion pages: https://www.habssladegreenprimary.org.uk/Inclusion/
Government & Local London Borough of Bexley Advice
- Cost of Living advice from www.gov.uk - for advice on bills, childcare, benefits, housing and travel
- Bexley Citizens Advice Bureau (by appointment only)
- Bexley Household Fund - support for vulnerable residents
Food Banks, Meals and Warm Spaces
- The Trussell Trust - Food Banks
- Bexley Food Bank or call 0808 2082138
- Slade Green Food Bank
- Bexley Community Pantry
- Warm Welcome Spaces - warm and welcoming spaces for free for the public this winter
Support with Energy Costs
You may be able to apply directly to your energy supplier for grants and hardship funds to help with energy debts.
- British Gas Energy Support Fund
- Scottish Power Hardship Fund
- OVO Energy financial support
- E-ON Next financial support (in partnership with Charis)
- EDF financial support (in partnership with Charis)
- BULB energy financial support
- Octopus Energy Financial Assistance
Haberdashers' Support for Families
- Hardship Fund - parents can apply for financial support with school trip fees, uniform, music tuition, equipment, books etc. The support provided will be at the discretion of the Principal and decisions will be made on a case by case basis.
- Contact us at Slade Green Primary - If you are considering making a Hardship Fund application or if you would like to talk to us about other support available, please contact Helen McKenzie at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Victim Support - www.victimsupport.org.uk
- Young Carers - www.carers.org
- Young Minds - www.youngminds.org.uk
- Children and Young People's Mental Health Services (CYPMHS, previously CAMHS) - www.nhs.uk
- Bexley Moorings Project - supporting young people aged 8-17
- Imago - Bexley Young Carers - supports young people caring for others
- Bexley Women's Aid - support for women and children experiencing domestic abuse
- Bexley Health and Wellbeing Services - full list of services and resources
- MIND Bexley - free talking therapies
- Bexley Crisis Cafe - evening drop in for adults experiencing severe distress