We would like to give a warm welcome to all our parents and guardians at Haberdashers' Slade Green Nursery and Primary School, part of Haberdashers' Academies Trust South.
- We provide an excellent Haberdashers’ education – joining us will mean being part of the Haberdashers’ family. We recognise the importance of educating the whole child, building on their strengths and celebrating individual achievements. We are #proudtobehaberdashers
- We are a happy, safe, secure and caring school where children feel included and valued. Children flourish in our friendly and nurturing environment developing personal aspiration, a lifelong love of learning and achieve their potential both academically and socially. Our children become curious and independent learners, are motivated, engaged and embrace future challenges with real confidence. Our children have outstanding behaviour, are keen to learn and have a sense of respect and responsibility towards others.
- Our inclusive and knowledge rich curriculum aims for all children to ‘Engage, Enrich and Excel’, recognises the diversity of the local and wider community and is complemented by a broad range of educational experiences. We provide enrichment through lunch clubs, after school clubs and a termly school trip/visit for each year group linked to our curriculum.
- Our strong passionate staff team are highly dedicated, having high expectations for learning, achievement, and behaviour for all children and value the contribution that every child brings to our school.
- We have an excellent Early years provision with a curriculum which develops inquisitive independent learners. This includes a new nursery for 3-4-year olds, which offers 15-hour and limited 30-hour places.
- We provide a range of opportunities where children can develop their leadership skills, empowering them to help shape our school development.
- We have unrivalled outdoor play and learning spaces, which are used from Nursery to year 6 which provide super opportunities for creative play, outdoor learning, sport and enrichment activities.
- Our children make excellent progress from Key Stage 1 into Key Stage 2 and in readiness for secondary school and our outcomes in Year 6 are well above the national average in all subjects.
- Our inclusion team provide additional support for all children, with wellbeing and good mental health as a priority. We have been awarded the Equality, Diversity and Inclusion Quality mark.
- We develop happy and successful partnerships with parents and guardians and value the ideas and opinions of all our community. We provide a variety of Parent/Guardian workshops, planned to enhance the learning and social and emotional needs of our children.
Our Values and Ethos
The Haberdashers' Academies Trust is a multi-academy trust of four secondary schools and five primary schools each at the heart of its community that share a vision for the education of children and young people.
Our vision is built from our values of aspiration and achievement, personal responsibility, self-discipline and mutual respect.
We are forward looking and value innovation, but always within the context of our long tradition of providing excellent education.
Based upon these values we aim to ensure all the children and young people who come to our schools:
- Are happy and safe at school and are able to learn successfully within a supportive environment
- Are able to achieve their full potential personally, academically and socially
- Develop and grow as independent, resourceful and resilient individuals
- Are equipped with the skills, qualifications and love of learning they will need to be successful and flourish in the world as adults
We will achieve these aims by providing a safe environment where all children and young people can succeed:
- Our leaders care about what they do and drive a culture of high expectation and ambition;
- Our challenging and engaging curriculum builds powerful knowledge and provides each student with the opportunity to excel;
- Great people bring teaching to life. They are passionate about what they do because they know that it matters;
- We want our children to be individuals with character. Our Haberdashers' Advantage programme enables them to be exposed to a wide range of opportunities and experiences;
- We know our children and young people well and we use this intelligent insight to ensure that each and every one of them is able to succeed, regardless of their starting point, back ground or need.
PROUD TO BE HABERDASHERS
Our sponsors are a huge part of the culture within our Trust and our schools. The links with both of our sponsors are a unique and special part of what makes Haberdashers’ Trust and our schools what they are today.
THE WORSHIPFUL COMPANY OF HABERDASHERS
Our main sponsor is the Worshipful Company of Haberdashers, one of the Great Twelve Livery Companies of the City of London. Education is of prime importance to the Haberdashers’ Company and today there are more than 12,000 children and young people in the Haberdashers’ family of schools that benefit from the relationship.
Our Haberdashers’ roots go back as far as the 1680s when our founder, Robert Aske, left a sum of money to build a school for 20 underprivileged children. Despite his philanthropic work, Aske’s life and work is not without some controversy. In 1672, he made an investment of £500 in the Royal African Company. This was a trading company which traded slaves from Africa to the West Indies between 1660 and 1708. The history of the Slave Trade is painful and difficult to consider. It makes us question our assumptions about the past; answering these questions can deepen and enrich our understanding of our heritage.
Aske’s involvement in the slave trade is not in doubt, but it must be seen in the context of his legacy that has made such a significant contribution to our schools and the education of young people in our community. Moreover, the situation should encourage us to carefully consider how we educate students about slavery.
The Trust undertook a wide-reaching consultation speaking to pupils, parents, staff, our local communities and governors. Having looked at all the opinions the Trust decided that we will not use the name ‘Aske’ in the common name of our Trust and in our schools.
Being part of the Haberdashers’ community is very important to us. The Haberdashers’ come and visit our schools each year to hear from the children, to see what has been happening in our schools and to celebrate our achievements. The Haberdashers’ Company supports pupils, past and present, as they progress through their educational and professional journey, which offers our pupils in something truly unique.
THE HABERDASHERS' ADVANTAGE
There’s more to a Haberdashers’ education than what happens inside the classroom. We go the extra mile to ensure that each of our pupils is prepared and equipped for life beyond the school gates.
The Worshipful Company of Haberdashers generously provide support for our pupils by contributing to enrichment activities and subsidised travel opportunities, as well as funding annual student prizes. Steeped in tradition, a Haberdashers’ education is so much more than teaching and learning, with every student member becoming a lifetime member of the Haberdashers' family where they benefit from unrivalled networking and support opportunities through our Alumni Association. In 2020, there were 34 scholarships awarded across the Trust to a total value of £101,000.
The Haberdashers Company funds specialist teaching in music and in sport to enable our students to excel in these areas. Annual book prizes are awarded to some students in each year group at our speech days and throughout the year, there are competitions across the Haberdashers’ schools, where students can compete for prizes.
Haberdashers’ Opportunities include:
- All pupils visit the prestigious Haberdashers’ Hall in Smithfield
- Scholarships available for university courses and apprenticeships
- Livery Academy Awards and business mentors
- Participation in events like the Lord Mayor’s Show
- Haberdashers’ Musician of the Year
- Annual sporting competitions with other Haberdashers’ schools
- Oxford University Essay Writing Prize
- Monmouth City of London Work Experience Scheme
- The sixth form Haberdashers’ Advantage Scheme
TEMPLE GROVE SCHOOLS TRUST
Temple Grove Schools Trust is a charitable trust dedicated to raising standards for primary education. The Trust was founded some 50 years ago and springs from one of the country’s oldest prep schools, Temple Grove founded in 1810. The Trust seeks to provide all children with a breadth and depth of learning opportunities in order to realise individual aspirations and potential.
Our schools are extremely fortunate to have a partnership with the Temple Grove Schools Trust. The schools benefit from bursaries that allow us the opportunity to give our children learning experiences they may not get at other schools; including music lessons, professional coaches and multiple trips.